Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:03:20 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Jason Craig <freebsd@b0rg.net>, Jason Craig <nemesys@home.com>, Jason <jcraig@servtech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compile new kernel with MCA support

[moved to -current]

On Friday, 19 November 1999 at 17:27:15 -0500, Jason Craig wrote:
On Friday, 19 November 1999 at 17:32:20 -0500, Jason Craig wrote:
On Friday, 19 November 1999 at 17:38:07 -0500, Jason wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a few FreeBSD machines that I am playing around with now, and have
> come across a nice old IBM PC Server 320 with dual P90 processors and 64MB
> of RAM i would also like to utilize.
>
> I am currently using 4.0-19991113-CURRENT generic kernel, and things are
> working great.
>
> However, I tried to compile a custom kernel to weed out any unwanted
> devices, and to enable SMP and have have run into a problem.  After
> compiling the kernel using the standard procedure, I rebooted it, and it
> panic'd after doing the kernel config.
>
> I tried removing most of the entries from /boot/kernel.conf, only to find it
> still panics saying something about the MCA bus.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes, probably http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.  To quote:

Should I ask -questions or -hackers?

Two mailing lists handle general questions about FreeBSD,
FreeBSD-questions and FreeBSD-hackers. In some cases, it's not really
clear which group you should ask. The following criteria should help
for 99% of all questions, however:

     If the question is of a general nature, ask
     FreeBSD-questions. Examples might be questions about intstalling
     FreeBSD or the use of a particular UNIX utility.

     If you think the question relates to a bug, but you're not sure,
     or you don't know how to look for it, send the message to
     FreeBSD-questions.

6.  Specify as much information as possible. This is a difficult area,
    and we need to expand on what information you need to submit, but
    here's a start:

    In nearly every case, it's important to know the version of
    FreeBSD you're running.  This is particularly the case for
    FreeBSD-CURRENT, where you should also specify the date of the
    sources, though of course you shouldn't be sending questions about
    -CURRENT to FreeBSD-questions

    (...)

    If your system panics, don't say ``My system panicked'', say (for
    example) ``my system panicked with the message 'free vnode
    isn't'''.

7.  If you do all this, and you still don't get an answer, there could
    be other reasons. For example, the problem is so complicated that
    nobody knows the answer, or the person who does know the answer
    was offline. If you don't get an answer after, say, a week, it
    might help to re-send the message. If you don't get an answer to
    your second message, though, you're probably not going to get one
    from this forum. Resending the same message again and again will
    only make you unpopular.

One that's not in there: if you're running -CURRENT, come with some
*clever* questions.  -CURRENT isn't for beginners.

In your case, you sent three messages in 11 minues.  That's a good way
to make yourself unpopular, especially when you're running exotic
hardware which not many people know.

Greg