Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:44:57 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.conf variables required by ports

--NY6JkbSqL3W9mApi

On 2003.07.24 15:34:15 -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
>     Installation of the Linux base system is finished. The Linux kernel
>     mode, which must be enabled for Linux binaries to run, is now
>     enabled. Linux mode can be enabled permanently with the linux_enable
>     variable of rc.conf(5).
>=20
> Since it would be so trivial, is there a good reason why we don't
> automate (echo "linux_enable=3D\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf), and similar
> additions from other ports? Checking a few other ports, none of them
> that I found do this either...
>=20
> Maybe there's a general principle I'm missing... :-)

"Don't mess with peoples config files without asking them" :-)

If just the port asks the user, I think it would be OK.  Unless somebody
else thinks it is a bad idea, I would suggest making a patch and
submitting it via a PR.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team
New PGP key 0x27359A51
Fingerprint: 912B F341 7E90 2049 05B4 3800 87DA 5C0D 2735 9A51

--NY6JkbSqL3W9mApi

--NY6JkbSqL3W9mApi--