Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:38:50 -0800
From:      Darren Shepard <shepard@engr.orst.edu>
To:        Alessandro de Manzano <demanzano@iol.it>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matrox G450 and X 4.0.2 = blank ?

> Now I've got a new Matrox Millenium G450 32Mb dual head AGP card, but
> I've got also some weird problems...
>
> Under XF 3, using XF86_SVGA as server, my monitor is totally blank (NEC
> FE750). I'm sure this is not a
> unsupported-resolution/frequency/scantimes problem, since I've
> configured X (with XF86Setup) also for 640x480x16 @ 60Hz and it's the
> same :(
> (things like chipset mga etc. seems to be ok)
[...]

> More... when I get such a blank screen, I can't use
> "ctrl-alt-backspace" to brute-force exit XFree ! It's like the keyboard
> is not working (yes, I configured it and mouse too :) )
> Also killing -9 the XFree process from a telnet session does not
> restore the VGA/Monitor ! I had to power-cycle the whole machine! :-(
[...]

You need the latest beta linux drivers from Matrox:
	http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/linux_05.cfm

They're available as source or binary.  Since you've already built X4
you might want to try the binaries.  Simply copy mga_drv.o and
mga_hal_drv.o to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.  You may wish to
backup the existing mga_drv.o before you do this.

Then do 'XFree86 -configure' and that should generate a working config.

--
Darren Shepard | dss@orst.edu