Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:56:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        chris@absinthe.i3inc.com (Chris Shenton)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd -- configuration for "server" side?

Chris Shenton writes:
> 1. On the "server side" I see complaints in the logs which usually,
>    after 6 repetitions or so, have caused the "server" to drop the link:
>
>     Nov 12 00:16:06 Placebo mpd: [usr0] LCP: no reply to 1 echo request(s)

This is normal.. the point of sending echo requests is that sometimes
a modem will freeze/crap out without dropping CD, or the remote server
will die without hanging up the modem, or whatever. The only way to
detect these situations is with LCP echos. You can adjust the interval
and the maximum failure count in mpd.conf, or disable it altogether
if you like.

> 3. Triggering demand causes the client side to attempt to re-establish
>    the link, but the *server* is still sitting there at LCP DEAD. It
>    never goes back to waiting by the phone. How to I get it to reset
>    so that it will handle repeated incoming demand dials?

Don't have an idle timeout on the server...

	set bundle idle 0

This is kindof broken that you have to do this...

> 4. Can I set it up so that demand is there to ensure that if the link
>    goes down it will get re-established, but that it never times out
>    from being idle? My POTS line is unmetered, but I have a finite
>    amount of "free" calls I can make per month. Does idle=0 imply
>    infinite connection? (or hangup immediately, like an Ascend? :-)

Yes, idle 0 is what you want here.

> 5. Something in my mpd.conf and/or mpd.links sometimes generates "Line
>    too long, truncated" warnings.  The error doesn't identify which
>    file, line number, or the line contents. It seems usually to associated
>    with the "load log-normal" if the "log-normal:" specifier has stuff
>    after it like miscellaneous comments, possibly even separated with
>    the desired blank line. It would be real nice to have file:line
>    identifiers to track this down, or at least a dislay of the
>    offending line. Perhaps there's some confusion parsing the file
>    looking for the last hunk and my trailing comments may be throwing
>    it off?

Good idea... thanks. Hash-sign (#) comments should start at the
beginning of the line, btw.

-Archie