Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:58:18 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
To:        "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@acsu.buffalo.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnetd

At 10:45 AM 3/31/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>  Question: I am behind a firewall that doesn't allow incomming
>connections except on ports 20,25,113.  I want to run telnetd on one of
>these ports, either 20 or 25.  So far all I have been able to come up with
>is swapping the ports between smtp & telnet.  Is there a better solution
>that won't make sendmail scream bloody murder and won't make outgoing
>telnets default to port 25.  (Would it be safe to use 20?)
>
> -Christopher Michaels
>* E-Mail:                                           cjm2@acsu.buffalo.edu *
>* Homepage:                             http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~cjm2 *

I also had to change my telnetd port because IBM Net's PPP dialup blocks
the standard telnet and ftp ports (maybe some others as well, i haven't
tested). I just created a duplicate service in my services file
(/etc/services ?) using another port number (i used a different service
name for this telnetd). Then i went into inetd.conf and setup up this new
services, again duplicating telnetd, except for the service name.
Everything worked fine after that.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@sns.com                        http://chipweb.home.ml.org
             http://www.sns.com/~ludwigp  <--^-- Updated 11/22/96
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page