Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:07:26 -0700
From:      BoB KoT <bobkot@theriver.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   system wedges running dd with of=/dev/fd0

On a -current cvsuped on Jan2-2003
uname -a
FreeBSD k7.jibe.net 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0:
Wed Jan  8 09:21:54 MST 2003
root@k7.jibe.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

To reproduce error...

cd /somedir

where somedir has a valid floppy image file like kern.flp
Then...

dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/fd0

and machine wedges. In the best cases using a GENERIC kernel
the screen goes blank, keyboard is inactive, hard drive light
is on 100%. Have to recycle input power to get back in control.

WARNING..WARNING..WARNING...
In worst cases like the 1st time I noticed this, I was running
a custom kernel and using the /sysutils/sdd  port. In addition
to all the above nasty symptoms on subsequent power up the machine
was dead. BIOS had been butchered. I had to go onto the motherboard
and force a BIOS reset to factory defaults and then reconfig the
BIOS to get the system back to a usable state. VERY UGLY

I've tried a lot of test permutations that i'll not go into here,
but the above dd incantation fails every invocation.
Also note that on this same harddrive I have a partition that runs
FreeBSD 4.7R and dd and sdd to/from the floppy work flawlessly.
Which makes me tend to believe that this is not a hardware problem.

In GENERIC these are all on
options         DDB
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         WITNESS
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
Yet nothing is trapped and I see nothing logged in /var/log/messages.
I also have
dumpdev="/dev/ad4s4b"
dumpdir="/usr/flameout"
in my /etc/rc.conf and nothing is getting picked up by savecore in
there on reboot.

Can anyone else duplicate this?  If so then a PR is in order.
If not I'll re-cvsup and rebuild and test again and repost for
further help.

As the cusp of 5.0 Release draws near I am distressed to have run into
a problem of this severity.                             -bob-