Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:03:15 -0700
From:      kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: printcap

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 19:57 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
>
> > Can somebody point me to some information about what to write into
> > /etc/printcap on a FreeBSD machine for a Laserjet that is connected though
> > CUPS on an OpenSolaris server?
>
> It's not clear how that printer is connected.  If it's on the network
> itself, you should be able to send jobs directly to it.  If the printer
> is connected by USB or something else to the server, CUPS might still
> accept jobs from lpr.  (Untested, but it's a print server, after all.)
>
> Network printing from printcap (among other things) is shown here:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html
>
> Well, and in the Handbook, too.

By Jove, this actually works... but from ethic, so far.  "ethic == ns1";
i wonder if this will
work on my "newtao" which is ubuntu.   FWIW, I AM having more trouble
transitioning
after some N years since 2.0.5... .
lp|b5250| Brother HL-5250-DN |
PSgs;r=1200x1200;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
        :lp=:\
        :sh:\
        :mx#0:\
        :rm=netlaser:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

If _anybody_ onlist uses FreeBSD as their server and some version of
Linux elsewhere
**and** have a network-type printer, please clue me in.
((Exactly this reason--_printers_--has kept me from trying anything but
*BSD.))