Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:33:09 -0500
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guide to x.org update?

On Monday 28 June 2004 02:26 pm, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:45:08PM -0400, Jim Trigg wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:22:32PM -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:

> > > Not sure, I think some do, but everything I have hear does not seem to
> > > have that problem.
> >
> > OK, so how do you get cvsup to use xorg?  As best I can tell, it will
> > depend on either XFree86 (XFree86 v. 3) or XFree86-4-libraries (XFree86
> > v. 4), with no option to depend on xorg-libraries.
>
> Both the XFree86-4-libraries and xorg-libraries provide the
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 shared library (amongst others).  It's the
> same ABI independent of which port the shlib comes from.
>
> The short answer is "just install the x11/xorg-libraries port before
> you install cvsup".
>
> In fact, cvsup works perfectly well even if you replace the XFree86
> libs with the xorg ones underneath a previously installed copy of
> cvsup.  Doesn't even need a recompile.  The same goes for most X based
> software.
>
> Here's how it works: when the Makefile in the cvsup port says
> "USE_XLIB" that gets transformed into a LIB_DEPENDS line in
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk:
>
>     LIB_DEPENDS+=   X11.6:${PORTSDIR}/x11/XFree86-4-libraries
>
> (assuming you've not got XFREE86_VERSION == 3).
>
> That LIB_DEPENDS line is in two parts separated by a colon.  The first
> bit:
>
>     X11.6
>
> means that the port needs to link against libX11.so.6, and it checks
> to see if a suitable shlib is installed and accessible by grep'ing in
> the output of ldconfig:
>
>     % ldconfig -r | fgrep X11.6
>             116:-lX11.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
>
> Since last night on my system that's from:
>
>     % pkg_info -W /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 was installed by package
> xorg-libraries-6.7.0
>
> If make(1) can find a suitable shlib, everything is happy and the
> compile continues -- all make looks for is the presence of the
> library.  It doesn't check what (if any) port the library is part of.
> Only if it can't find the correct shlib does the right hand side of
> that LIB_DEPENDS line get considered:
>
>     ${PORTSDIR}/x11/XFree86-4-libraries
>
> That's simply a suggestion of a suitable port that will provide the
> required shlib, and fulfil the dependency.  But there are several such
> ports in the tree, any of which could be used.  Often in such
> situations there will be some sort of 'WANT_FOO' or 'WITH_FOO_VER'
> make variable to select which one gets used.  Unfortunately, no such
> mechanism for saying "I want X.Org ports in preference to XFree86
> ones" has yet been committed.
>
> One annoyance due to the lake of make(1) infrastructure is that the
> suggested port will be listed in the package dependencies of the
> installed port, rather than the actual port that provided the shlib
> you used to build against.  That, however, is just an administrative
> detail which you can fix up with pkgdb(1), and has no real bearing on
> [...]

Odd - all I did was remove XFree, install the Xorg meta-port. Rename
XF86Config to xorgcfg in /etc/X11R6, restart X and bingo.

Now, I am cvsup'in as we speak - then again, I don't use the gui version of
cvsup.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a follow-up.

--
Best regards,
Chris

believed to be clean.