Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:36:37 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        TJ Olney <market@cc.wwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't "make buildworld"  libraries and kern.securelevel

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, TJ Olney wrote:

[snip]

TO> Dropping to single user mode when the kern.securelevel has been at 1
TO> leaves it at 1 and make installworld fails.  In my case it failed in the
TO> middle of installing perl so not much worked after that.

... as expected. You are required not to drop to single user, but instead
reboot to single user, which surely resets securelevel. [see UPDATING]

to avoid clashing between kernel and userland not-in-sync, you may be
required to reboot to single user twise (once for installing new kernel,
and the second to install new userland under new kernel working).

TO> So, heads up all, before trying to installworld, do sysctl
TO> kern.securelevel if it is 1, change rc.conf to have it be -1, reboot
TO> and try again.

Not needed. You will installworld during single-user mode without (or with
restricted) networking and opening services, then go to multiuser with
securelevel increased.

[snip]

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]