Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:49:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   converting raster file to postscript

Hello guys,

I recently purchased an Epson Stylus Color 600, and would like to
print some photo-quality images.  Thanks to the handbook, I got
ghostscript5 to function as a filter, but the images look rather
crappy.

I can actually see the pixels (which is not supposed to happen, at
least without an aid of a microscope!), so I think the printer (or
ghostscript) is dithering the image.

I suspect the problem is that I don't know how to generate
high-resolution color postscript files.  I used pnmtops, but the
"-dpi" option appears to be a no-op:

===
>> djpeg -ppm voyage.jpg | pnmtops -dpi 360 | wc
pnmtops: warning, image too large for page, rescaling to 0.771088
pnmtops: writing color PostScript...
   70526   70574 4300910
>> djpeg -ppm voyage.jpg | pnmtops -dpi 720 | wc
pnmtops: warning, image too large for page, rescaling to 0.771088
pnmtops: writing color PostScript...
   70526   70574 4300910
>> djpeg -ppm voyage.jpg | pnmfile
stdin:  PPM raw, 754 by 935  maxval 255
Broken pipe
>> dc
754 935 *p
704990
===

Well, if I'm printing this pathetic picture at 720dpi, it should show
up as about 1 inch by 1.2 inches.  It shouldn't be too large for a
letter-size paper. :)

I also tried to "save" the image using netscape, with pretty much the
same quality as a result.  (But that's expected, as I can't tell
netscape to change the resolution and it probably just tries to scale
the image for the entire paper.)

Satoshi