Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:02:40 -0800
From:      K Anderson <freebsduser@comcast.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: printer/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 4:47 PM -0800 11/17/03, K Anderson wrote:
>
>> Hey there all.
>>
>> For quite some time I've been noticing messages on the primary
>> console as well as the message log.
>>
>>    inetd[630]: printer/tcp: bind: Address already in use
>>
>> I have cups installed and happen to notice something in the
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d director called lprng.sh. I have, as the
>> file says, lpd_enabled/lpd_enable equal to NO inside quotes
>> (yep, inside rc.conf) and the darn thing still starts up.
>>
>> Any ideas on fixing?
>

> Are things "working", other than the annoying message?
>
> Are all the messages from the same process?  And is that
> process really 'inetd'?  If so, what kind of entries do
> you have in /etc/inetd.conf?

Woa, thanks for the quick response.

Yep things are "working" just have the annoying messages (well I haven't
had a need to print at this time). When inetd checks its configuration
against what is currently running for a given port outside of inetd.

Yes, the process is really inetd. Since in the inetd.conf there is the
following entry:
   printer         515/tcp    spooler
   printer         515/udp    spooler

And the lprng.sh wants to load lpd from /usr/local/sbin. I do have
cups-lpr installed but I don't recall this issue arising from it.

I killed the lpd process and the renamed lprng.sh to something like
lprng.sh.runthisandyoudie. Now inetd doesn't complain. Of course I don't
understand what application put it there. I'm sure I checked cups and it
appears to not come from that. Renaming it is just like going in to
msconfig on Windows and telling not to do it. And since lprng.sh says
put in LPD_ENABL="NO" I would expect it to work. But nope.

Since I'm not printing at this time I'll just yank out cups and clean it
up and reinstall to get it to print to a Windows share.