Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 13:49:52 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Byron L. Sonne" <blsonne@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trying to fix missing /boot/loader error, no luck

In message <3CE0713A.15124DE2@rogers.com>, "Byron L. Sonne" writes:
>So I tried a few things, notably "disklabel -B ad0" and "boot0cfg -Bv
>ad0". I rebooted after each and I still get the "no /boot/loader" and
>"meta data missing" errors. If I do a dir of /boot, I can see loader and
>a bunch of other things. I then tried using sysinstall to replace the
>MBR and then tried "boot0cfg -Bv ad0" but still no luck.

Try "disklabel -B ad0s1" (assuming slice 1 is your FreeBSD slice).
Also, do you have a very large root partition (> 8GB) or does your
root partition end more than 8GB from the start of the disk? If so,
the contents of /boot/loader might not be accessible using the BIOS.
The normal recommendation is for a small (128-256MB) root filesystem
to avoid such problems.

Ian