Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:18:14 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ditching POP, moving to IMAP

Wes Peters wrote:

> I'm looking through the docs on Cyrus, but it looks a bit "over the top"
> for my small user base.  Is IMAP-uw reasonably reliable once patched into
> submission?

If you're careful with it, maybe ... I tried 4.1 and gave up getting
it to work well in the end. I wasn't too keen on people being able to
change the server root in Netscape and get a listing of files in their
home directory as email folders (and then trying to read them and
getting the contents as a message), and I gave up trying to get it to
run any other way (I was new to freebsd at the time and had a lot of
learning to do very quickly so I went with what worked) - I haven't
looked at 4.2 though, it may be better. Or not.

After that I tried Cyrus - I had less trouble installing it and have
now had it working quite happily for about a year without much
fiddling. I found that Cyrus doesn't much like 8-bit data in mail
headers (I used a sendmail flag, I think it was 7, to strip headers to
7-bit as it was just bouncing them otherwise).

I think it looked more difficult to convert existing messages from
/var/mail to Cyrus than it using imap-uw (although I think popping
them with fetchmail and reposting them may have the desired effect)
but this wasn't a problem here, we didn't have anything that needed
keeping.

HTH
Stuart