Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:57:56 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

Sorry for the late reply, management course.

In message <3D2CEBCE.55DC3C6D@softweyr.com>, Wes Peters writes:
> Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group wrote:
> >
> > In message <3D2BE142.E25CA9BC@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
> > > So, following Jordan's advice, what's on everyone's wishlist?
> > >
> > > Terry's Wishlist:
> > [...]
> >
> > + Cy's Wishlist:
> >
> > o       Optional installation of sources.  RH's SRPM's is a very poor
> >         example of this.  A better example would be what IBM does to
> >         install JES/2 on their MVS system, e.g. an OpenSSH package might
> >         contain source in addition to binaries.  The sources would be
> >         installed in /usr/src while the binaries would be installed
> >         in /usr/bin, sbin....
>
> Yes!  My mythical XML metadata format, with or without external "filesets",
> would handle this with aplomb.  The source set would be included in the
> metadata and you could skip it or install it as with any other fileset.
> Come to think of it, you could include the ports Makefile and patches as
> well.  Hmm, that bears some thinking about.  Most of what is in a "port"
> right now is metadata too.

IBM used UCL.  XML is better.

> > o       Files replaced by a package backed up in case of package removal
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  Be able to create a backup script of
> the files related to a package for backing up?  Be able to restore only
> missing files from a package?  Both seem like good ideas...

If for example openssh-overwrite-base-3.4p1 is installed, the old
binaries are saved (backed up) before the package is installed.  If I
pkg_delete openssh-overwrite-base-3.4p1, the old ssh files are restored
(reappear).

> > o       Check option:  Tell me what it will do without doing it
> >
> > o       Group option:  Install prerequisites
>
> Wouldn't you want this to be the default, perhaps with an option to
> abort if they're not "readily available"???

You're right.  Then there should be an option to just install the
selected packages and nothing else.  This would allow for "creative"
problem solving.

> > o       Groupextend option:  Install postrequisites, e.g. dependent
> >         packages and patches
>
> In other words, roll portupgrade into the system.

Yes.

> > o       Ability to install my own packages on top of packages and
> >         patches, I like to call them USERMODS.
>
> Your own packages or your changes to a standard package?  I can see the
> value, but how to do it doesn't leap immediately to mind.

This increases the complexity of the proposed package system.  This was
mentioned as a possible ideal.  I doubt this feature would be used
much.  Please use it as you see fit.

> > o       The package system should be independent of the compression tool
> >         used.  In the future new compression algorithms and tools will
> >         be developed.  The package system should be flexible enough to
> >         not care how its files are compressed or packaged.
>
> Ditto for archive formats, encoding formats, etc.  We should probably
> specify one of each as a bare minimum, choosing from those that are
> available in library format, reasonably licensed, and have acceptable
> performance (for some definition of acceptable).
>
> > o       The ability to export and import the package database (currently
> >         to clone systems, I rsync /usr/local, /usr/X11R6, and /var/db/pkg
> >         to a new system I am installing, this saves many hours of work).
>
> Yes, perhaps even the ability to capture a currently installed package
> and turn it back into a package file.  That'd be way cool for duplicating
> packages with local customizations.
>
> > > o     I want to be able to remove system components, like "sendmail"
> > >       and "OpenSSH".
> >
> > Ideally everything should install as a package, however that would
> > create a lot of extra work for us developers.  I have yet to think of a
> > painless way to do this.
>
> Yeah, Debian has certainly showed us how NOT to do it.  "Which version of
> /bin/cat do you want?"

Exactly.  This had its usefulness in the mainframe world where
decisions made years ago would cost millions of dollars to undo.  OTOH,
choosing a SYSV init v.s. a BSD init might be nice (just an example, no
flames please).  Ultimately striking the proper balance is our goal.
Please pick and choose any ideas as you see fit.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766