Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:15:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Bob Madden" <bobm@atgsystems.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Security" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some observations on stream.c and streamnt.c

:I believe this to be true. Realize that in a real world attack, the attack
:most likely originates from more than one source AND it continues for a good
:hour or so or however long it takes to crash the box. But it DOES crash the
:box. My experience is with FreeBSD, but as has been suggested/demonstrated it
:has similar effects on other platforms.
:
:Bob Madden

    If the attack doesn't take down your machine in the first 60 seconds
    then the failure condition may not be where you are looking for it.

    The first thing I would check would be to make sure that you are restricting
    the tcp connection resources.  net.inet.tcp.sendspace and
    net.inet.tcp.recvspace should be left at their default 16384 or perhaps made
    smaller.  See if connections are building up (netstat -tn | wc -l) during
    the attack.  If the build up forever that may be the source of the mbuf
    exhaustion.

    Another possibility is that your machine's route table is being blown up
    by the spoofed packets.  Each spoofed packet has a different source address
    which means that a temporary route table entry is being created for each one.
    These entries take time to timeout.  Use 'vmstat -m' and check the 'routetbl'
    field while the attack is going on.

    (Wasn't there a route table leak that we fixed in -current?  Was that ever
    backported to -stable?).

    Route table entries can be controlled somewhat with:

	test3:/var/mail# sysctl -a | fgrep .rt
	net.inet.ip.rtexpire: 3600
	net.inet.ip.rtminexpire: 10
	net.inet.ip.rtmaxcache: 128

    Do the following:

	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.rtexpire=2
	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.rtminexpire=2

    In your case it is not the packet attack itself which is causing you to
    crash - your machine is able to handle that just fine if it stays up for
    an hour.  The problem is probably some side effect of the packet attack.
    We have to figure out what that side effect is so it can be addressed.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>