Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2006 19:24:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, linimon@lonesome.com, freebsd@mail.gbch.net
Subject:   Re: 6.x from i386 to amd64

Greg Black wrote:
 > Mark Linimon wrote:
 > > Greg Black wrote:
 > > > I found that a very large number of ports that mattered to me were marked
 > > > i386 only.
 > >
 > > In some cases these designations are obsolete.  They will require people-
 > > power to work through them and see if they are overused.
 > > [...]
 > > it will take people with amd64 boxes running native willing to test them
 > > and report back.
 > [...]
 > Fair enough.  In my defence, I'm fully committed at present and
 > I have only one amd64 machine which I need for my real work.  I
 > can't afford to run it in amd64 mode, because so much of what I
 > need is currently broken in a 64-bit world.

By the way, you don't necessarily have to have an amd64
machine in order to be able to run FreeBSSD/amd64 and
try 64bit software.  Qemu supports emulating an amd64
CPU on an i386 system (and vice versa, for that matter).
So you can run FreeBSD/amd64 on top of FreeBSD/i386
inside qemu and play with it.  Admittedly it will be
noticeably slower than running natively, though, because
you can't use the qemu accelerator kernel module when
emulating a different architecture.

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout