Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:33:24 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tar and Archive FT-60 trouble

On  8 Mar 97 at 22:02, Alex Povolotsky proclaimed:

> I've suddenly run into trouble: my Archive FT-60 often cannot read good
> archives from good tapes. With v flag added, it works much better. The thing
> appeared quite suddenly (most likely after CMOS failure). All my attempts to
> tune CMOS properly failed.

If this is a 60Meg QIC tape drive then perhaps you should be diggihn
a hole to bury it in!  Seriously, all of the old FT60's we had failed
with the same problem:  the rubber roller on the tape drive motor
melted.  Yours is almost certainly beginning to get soft even if that
is not the problem.  Take a look at your head too.  I doubt it's your
hardware.

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose fantasy.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com