Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 01:27:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu (David E. Cross)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, cracauer@cons.org, jmoss@ichips.intel.com, chet@po.cwru.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'bug' in /bin/sh's builtin 'echo'

> > Just write your shell scripts portably; that way they will work on all
> > platforms, back to Xenix 1.1.x, which didn't support shell functions.
>
> That is a wonderful idea... assuming that we have access to shell script
> that other people write, and can go through making the needed changes.  In
> this specific case it is next to impossible.

???

Shell scripts are, by definition, source code.  This is why /bin/sh
is better than perl: no .so's that don't have source code.

> What is one supposed to do when integrating a FreeBSD system into a
> netwrok where the hosts will call 'rsh -l foo bar echo baz\c' and need
> that to print out without the newline  This is not a hypothetical, this is
> what IRIX *does*.

Set up an environment for the user "foo" that include a ~/bin in the path,
and defines a ~/bin/echo that "does the right thing", i.e.:

	#!/bin/sh
	/bin/echo -e $*

?

					Terry Lambert