Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:35:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Caleb Walker <cwalker@powercomenergy.com>
Subject:   RE: dhcpd

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Caleb Walker wrote:

> I did get it installed that was the easy part.  The problem now is that I
> get a "No subnet decloration for xl0 (0.0.0.0) which is a interface that is
> configured for DHCP but is not getting an address because it is disconnected
> for a while.  I do not want DHCP to assign address for this interface.

Yes, and the answer is in the man page:

       The names of the network interfaces on which dhcpd should
       listen for broadcasts may be specified on the command
       line.  This should be done on systems where dhcpd is
       unable to identify non-broadcast interfaces, but should
       not be required on other systems.  If no interface names
       are specified on the command line dhcpd will identify all
       network interfaces which are up, elimininating non-broad-
       cast interfaces if possible, and listen for DHCP broad-
       casts on each interface.

So, if you want dhcpd to assign addresses off the xl1 interface but not
the xl0 interface, then you need to specify just the interface you want,
for example:

 /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd xl1

Ken