Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2015 20:46:15 -0800
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lang/perl5 rename

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Am I using the default version of Perl? (Presumably I am not
> because UPDATING says the default version is 5.20 while I have 5.16
> installed)
>
> 2. If not, then which version should I specify in make.conf
> (presumably 5.16 but I have no particular interest in 5.16 or any
> version for that matter)

All I did was 'pkg set -n perl5.16:perl5' and it worked fine.

I'm curious why I did not have to modify make.conf given that I am
apparently NOT running the default version of Perl and I MUST add a
line to make.conf.  Please let me know if you can educate me on where
I went wrong in understanding UPDATING.

Chris