Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:06:39 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Thomas Connolly <tpconnolly@frii.com>
Cc:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card problem

On Dec 09, at 03:28 PM, Thomas Connolly wrote:

> This is exactly my situation, any ideas??
> "If his NIC is *not* there when it's time to configure and start
> the d-load, it's a hardware/BIOS issue, or somebody's broke
> sysinstall(8).....or is there another option I'm missing?"

OK, it looks like it shakes out like this:

  - sysinstall(8) is miibus enabled, meaning dc(4) is available.
  - sysinstall(8) should have probed, and found that, dc(4) is
    appropriate for your hardware.
  - Because dc(4) wasn't listed in sysinstall(8), and your NIC is
    an ISA card, you may have to twiddle your BIOS to enable
    "legacy" ISA support, then try it again.
  - No one has confirmed that drivers may be specified within
    sysinstall(8) when the probe says otherwise. I don't know
    either way, not ever having to try.

I'd try the BIOS twiddling (not too much at a time, you may have to
revert it to existing values), then try sysinstall(8) again. If that
still yields nothing, try here again. I'll be out of my element at
that point, though; I don't know if proceeding anyway, and editing
/etc/rc.conf afterward would get you anywhere, but it could be worth
the try.

Dave

--