Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:04:36 -0800
From:      Eric <eric@tek-shop.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   java in mozilla & linux compat issues

I've been using opera for a while and I'm trying to switch to mozilla, which
is already installed on my system. I have linux compat working, because opera
ran, and I had a working version of java for opera as well. I have also
installed jre-1.1.8 from ports.

But mozilla tries to download java for linux from netscape's site and then
fails on the install. If java worked in Opera, why can't i get it to work for
mozilla?

Also, how does rpm installation work in bsd? If I download an rpm, can I just
use the rpm system to install it? Will it put things in the proper compat
places or will it try to use my bsd system as a linux system and mess things
all up.

and finally, anybody know how to play quicktime movies reliably? how about a
plugin? I've read around and can't find much. Some say xmovie works, but it
gives me a hard time.

thanks