Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 16:17:41 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Ralph-Thomas Aussem <aussem@tu-harburg.d400.de>
Cc:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with bt848 in FreeBSD 2.2.1

Ralph-Thomas Aussem:
 |Hi Randall,
 |I've just installed the bt848 driver from april 24. Now I have
 |the following problem:
 |
 |If I start fxtv (version 0.42) I can hear the tv sound
 |but I don't see anything.  I have patch fxtv to use PAL,
 |cable and weurope frequencies (the X11 application defaults
 |doesn't work. fxtv doesn't find it in /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults).
 |With xrtv I can switch the channels but I don't see any picture.
 |
 |Do you have a hint for me ?

I've rolled in a few things for PAL along with a PAL-related patch from
Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, but as I don't have access to a
PAL signal or a WinTV, I'm not sure how much I can help.

As far as I know, no-one's really beat on the PAL side of the system yet.
Maybe Richard or someone else on the list in Europe can give some advice.

There really isn't much in fxtv that's tuner-type/-mode specific, so my
first guess is it might be driver-related.  But to try and nail it down,
try these things:

    1) In fxtv when you can hear the audio, play with the appearance
       controls (Input->Appearance) and see if that changes anything.

    2) Try running in a different color depth ("startx -- -bpp 8"
       [or 16, etc.]) and see if that makes a difference.

    3) Startup fxtv with startup debugs on "fxtv -debug startup"
       If the selected video mode says it supports direct video,
       run with it disabled ("fxtv -disableDirectV").

    4) If the previous doesn't work, or if it didn't say you were using
       direct video anyway, put a printf at the top of the
       TVSCREENNewFrameHdlr routine to see if its getting called.

Hope this helps you track it down.

Randall