Date:      14 Feb 2001 03:36:45 +0100
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@poboxes.com>
To:        igorr@crosswinds.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why there is no news.freebsd.org ?

Igor Robul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:23:35PM +0300, Dmitry Valdov wrote:
> > No, no! Why not to have freebsd's news server which isn't connected to =
usenet?=20
> > Just to be able to use NNTP protocol for reading maillists.
>=20
> Same reason. If it will be _public_ it'll have all USENET problems. If

which problems are you talking about ? do you think there is SPAM to
private news servers ? -announce, -security-notification et co. have
to be moderated, which is currently the case.

> it'll require auth, then what is advatage opposed to mailing list?=20

bandwitch. think to people which are using modems. not a problem for
me, I'm over cable. but I've subscribed to 17 freebsd mailing lists,
which represent around 600+ messages a day and 2.5 MB a day !
do you think I read all messages ? of course, not, maybe 100 at most.

> =BA=D0=DA =E2=D0=DC =D2 =BD=D8=D6=DD=D5=DC =DF=DE=D3=DE=D4=D0?

???, humm! of course :))

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@poboxes.com   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just partic=