Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 17:13:43 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>, <Michael.Ranner@netway.at>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to install two FreeBSD's on one disc?

> You just can't for the moment have two FreeBSD on the same disk.
> There is an evolution for the bootloader to allow such a combination, but
> it is neither in 2.2.8 nor in 3.0

With a little bit of work you can. You sre strictly correct in saying
that this capability is not in 2.2.8 (or 3.0R by default). But working
boot blocks are available in 3.0R.

> PS : I was also burned by this "limitation"

No need to get burnt, it's not that hard to make work :-)

> > How can I install Relase 2.2.7 and Release 3.0 on one IDE disc.
> >
> > I've installed 2.2.7 and 3.0 and now I can only boot from the first
slice.

I assume that 2.2.7 is on the first slice and 3.0 is on the
second?

Boot up 2.2.7 and mount the root filesystem for 3.0 on /mnt...

	mount /dev/wd0s2a /mnt

Update the bootblock to the new ones...

	disklabel -B -b /mnt/boot/boot1 -s /mnt/boot/boot2 wd0s2

Make slice 2 the root partition for 3.0...

	echo "0:wd(0,2,a)kernel" >/mnt/boot.config

If your system boots 3.0 by default then skip the mount step
and strip /mnt from the paths in the proceeding commands.

If you need help with a disk/partition configuration
different to what I describe, drop me an email.

P.S. You may notice that the boot.config now takes a slice
parameter between the driver number and partition letter. With
the new boot blocks you can provide this on the command line
even though the help screen doesn't mention it.

Cheers.
 ,--_|\  | John Saunders    mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au   |
/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |