Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:44:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        ache@nagual.ru, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make world

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:

# >> I see this now.  Operator precedeence in .elif seems to have been broken
# >> by yesterday's changes.
# >>
# >> Try the following Makefile.  The .elif test succeeds.
# >>
# >> Bruce
# >>
# >> ---
# >> ONE=one
# >>
# >> foo:
# >> .if !defined(NOTDEF) && ${ONE} != ${ONE}
# >>         @echo "This shouldn't be printed"
# >> .elif !defined(NOTDEF) && ${ONE} != ${ONE}
# >>         @echo "This shouldn't be printed either"
# >> .endif
# >> ---
# >
# >I don't see it, but I will check into it further.  Maybe I am
# >missing something.
#
# It works with rev.1.9 of parse.c but fails with rev.1.10.  It
# looks like it now sometimes drops the last character of lines.
# The above makefile works right if one space is added after
# the second ${ONE} (and the tabs are unpasted).
#
# Bruce
#

I retract what I said earlier.  I just compiled and tested on
freefall with revs 1.9 and 1.10 and you're exactly right.  I
will take a look at this today at lunch (in about an hour).

My apologies, consider it fixed. :)

Steve