Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:17:32 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Xorg from 6 to 7

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:13:57 +0200 (CEST)
Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE> wrote:

> I have just read the UPDATING file and realized that this is
> something that have so many possibilities of going horribly wrong
> that it most certanly will. Thus I want another option.
>
> Would it be possible to deinstall every port that relates to Xorg 6
> and install Xorg 7 as if X never existed?

If you do it that way you still need to follow most of the
instructions for upgrading. IIRC anything dependent on any of xorg was
version bumped so it would get rebuilt by "portupgrade -a", xorg itself
was a small part of the upgrade for me. Even if you delete all ports,
you still need to run the mergebase script.

Note that the then development version of portupgrade is now the
mainstream one, so there is no need to switch.