Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:37:40 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        devel@xfree86.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _Xsetlocale

"H.J. Lu" wrote:

> > This is (just one reason) why ld.so.cache is just a bad idea.
>
> That is your opinion.

Up yours too.

It's an opinion based on years of developing software on a variety of
operating systems. I don't live in a one-OS world as you seem to do. I
routinely look at how things work on other systems, and I know what
works and I know what doesn't work. And after five years of developing
on Linux I've seen this same problem over and over and over again -- the
ld.so.cache causes more problems than it solves.

> Everything should be if egcs 1.1.1 is used on Linux.

Everything should be what??? Everything should be okay?

Should we all hop in our time machines and jump forward to a point in
time to when this is a fact, instead of just wishful thinking.

In the mean time there are real people with real machines running what's
out there today -- and it ain't egcs-1.1.1. Clicking your ruby shoes and
saying "everything will be fine with egcs" isn't doing much to help
those people NOW! (Telling people they should recompile XFree86 from
source is hardly a viable solution either.)

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate on how a different compiler will change
link and ld.so semantics?

> I can help if there is any problem.
>

> > What would it take to get the boneheads who do the linux distributions
> > to take /usr/X11R6/lib out of their ldconfig? XFree86 binaries have
> > RPATH and NEEDEDs, so they don't need no steenking ld.so.cache.
> >

> /usr/X11R6/lib in ld.so.conf is not the problem.

An opinion?

> gcc 2.[78].x is.

How is that?

--