Date:      Sat, 9 May 2015 23:07:26 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Avinash Sonawane <rootkea@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make install in security/trousers : Compilation failed unexpectedly

On 9 May 2015 at 21:24, Avinash Sonawane <rootkea@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Avinash,
>>
>> I've noticed you have had some difficulty compiling a few ports. Just wanted
>> to check that you knew you can install from packages, rather than having to
>> compile the ports?
>>
>> # pkg install trousers
>>

> Thank you for replying Ben. I am fully aware of the package and port
> system of FreeBSD. The port tree is one of the reason for my switch
> from Debian GNU/Linux to FreeBSD and that's why I'm building ports
> instead of installing the packages.
>
> Till now I have managed to build and install xorg, zsh, bash, xdm and
> xsm. Currently I'm stuck in installing x11/gnome3 which depends on
> graphics/graphviz which is giving compile error (same as
> security/trousers). I have reported about it to the maintainer.
>
> Perhaps I should start another thread for graphics/graphviz.
>
> --
> Avinash Sonawane (RootKea)
> PICT, Pune
> http://rootkea.wordpress.com

I agree - the ports tree provides great flexibility and is a big
attraction for FreeBSD.

I myself make use of it in a different way. I have set up a poudriere
build service, and use it to build all of my ports (with custom
options for each port set in
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/101amd64-make.conf). This way, I can build
all of my ports in parallel in controlled environments (only things
installed which should be installed), and only install the packages
once I know everything has successfully built. I do this even though I
only have 2 computers using the poudriere service (it's also been very
handy for testing ports when submitting improvements / fixes as
patches).

It can take a few hours to set up a poudriere build service in the
first instance, but it has been great ever since.

Just an idea. Using the ports tree directly (as you are) works also.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com