Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2017 22:11:12 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, "ports@FreeBSD.org>" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dependencies satisfied, build stops anyway.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:01:52 -0800 "bob prohaska" <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
> said
>
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 09:23:56PM -0800, Chris H wrote:
>> > I think you might have been better off going with the suggested
>> > cd /offending/port
>> > make deinstall
>> > make reinstall
>> > will simply compound the problem you're already experiencing. :(
>> > Just saying.
>> > and check it out for both src && ports. Then perform a fresh
>> > build(world/kernel) && install world/kernel. Else you'll be
>> > fighting  this and other woes for eternity.
>> >
>> This is slightly surprising; I know world and kernel need to
>> match fairly closely, but I thought ports could be at least
>> somewhat (days, weeks, possibly months) out of sync, depending
>> on their complexity and what they depend on.
>>
> Indeed. This *can* often be the case.
> *But* in reality, ports can often be a roll of the dice.
> My personal experience has found more often than not, that building
> ports checked out from close to the same time as the world revision
> time frame seems to give the best odds at an uneventful ports build
> session. :)
>

>> > I'm only saying all this in an effort to help. :)
>> >
>> I very much appreciate your counsel. This host is essentially expendable,
>> used only to rehearse procedures to be employed on machines whose
>> functions
>> are of some (small) value.
>> bob prohaska
>>

> --Chris

Version sync is relevant to use of packages as they require binary
compatibility, but not ports. There are no svn branches other than head and
ports should work with all currently supported branches of the source.
(Some are BROKEN for som supported branches, but this is explicit in the
Makefile and should include the reason.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com