Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        gnb@itga.com.au (Gregory Bond)
Cc:        aa8vb@nc.rr.com (Randall Hopper), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "set -A" Bourne script - a nogo on FreeBSD

According to Gregory Bond:

> > Seems FreeBSD's Bourne shell's "set" command doesn't support -A.
>
> AFAICT "set -A" is a ksh-ism, not a bourne-ism.  On my Solaris systems, ksh
> has "set -A", but neither bash nor sh do.  Install one of the ksh verisions
> from the ports.

	I have a csh or sh question--sorry for asking it this way;
	but is there any rational way of turning a file  named

	foo.c to foo.o or simply foo   with or without calling
	non-builtin programs?  I think I remember a sh wizard
	showing me some bizarre sh command...but not sure it wasn't
	a dream!

	thanks guys,

	gary

--