Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 01:02:00 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Ramsey G. Brenner" <rgbrenner@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login failure for DES encrypted accounts

>>since my upgrade to 4.7-STABLE on Friday I'm not able to login or su for
>>accounts, which use DES encrypted passwords.
>

> Check /etc/login.conf. IIRC, by default it has a line:
>         :passwd_format=md5:\
> Which should be changed to
>         :passwd_format=des:\

This suggestion as well as your other with regard to auth.conf seems to
only change the encryption method of newly created passwords. On my
systems I already have different passwords, ancient DES-encrypted ones
and new MD5 ones, which is the method that will be chosen by default
nowadays.

The problem is, that I was quite happily using both methods until two
weeks ago, when DES-encrypted accounts didn't allow logins anymore.

I'm just building a new world at the moment. I will post again, to
announce if the problem persists.

Ciao
Siegbert