Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:47:30 -0800
From:      Doug Langley <dlangley@calweb.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A question about virtual consoles

I am attempting to port some Braille and Speech software to FreeBSD.
These packages work by reading text from the current virtual
console and piping it to a process wich either translates it to braille,
dumps it to a serial port with an external speech synthesizer hooked to
it, or converts it to a wave file for output from mbrola.  I'm having
difficulty accessing the screen and the typed text from the currently
active Virtual console, and piping it somewhere else for processing.  Is
there some way the snoop device can be used for this project?  If it helps
anyone, the  software we are porting is linux-
based and relies on the /dev/vcs? and /dev/vcsa? devices.  From what I'm
given to understand, /dev/vcsa0 contains the text of the currently active
virtual console, and /dev/vcs0 contains the complete current console,
including
scrollback.  All of the programs make use of the /dev/vcsa0 device.  If
anyone can give me some ideas on where to find the text from the  local
VCS (ttyv0, ttyv1) I would greatly appreciate the help.  Please email me
privately as well, since I'm not on the list.

Thanks!