Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:22:22 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation

> It's not complex.  I've described the process in abstract; it only
> *looks* complex, it doesn't *act* complex.

Hmmm.  I remain skeptical, but for the purposes of argument... :-)

> > Voters also don't write bills, they just vote on existing ones - who
> > writes the bills and takes care of introducing them?  What if no
> > "bills" are generated - does the project just idle along or are people
> > allowed to still make changes?  What sorts of changes?
>
> All changes involving dissenting opinions.  Again, the core team is
> who you should be asking this question, since you are really asking
> "how much control is the core team giving away?".

I think you're working from a misperception.  The core team doesn't
spend its time sitting around rubbing its collective hands together
and going "Mooohahahaha!  POWER!" so it's not likely to consider this
in terms of power loss so much as it is in terms of how much workload
is generated.  From that perspective, it's still an open question as
to who's going to draft bills for the system and what happens if
everybody decides that drafting bills is too much work and they'd
prefer to simply argue in the existing mailing lists (and there are
many oblique ways of arguing a point which make it easy to claim later
that you weren't attempting to circumnavigate the vote system at all).

But that doesn't even raise the biggest issue, which is:

> 	Freddy Kruger (Kruger@ElmStreet.org) has submitted the
> 	following policy topic for discussion:
>
> 	> FreeBSD should move from a.out to ELF.
> 	[ ... various amounts of discussion for 5 days ... ]

Freddy raises the issue and 10 people vote on it, 7 feeling ELF-ish
enough that the motion "passes."

Now what?  We've got this as a supposed piece of "FreeBSD Policy" now
and users will surely expect it to be implemented or there wouldn't be
much point in the policy or the vote, but who's going to do the work?
The 7 voters?  Does that mean that in order to vote "yes" you also
have to be willing to do the work?  I'd say most definitely yes to
that since a vote without the rocks to back it up is rather worthless
(Judge:  "Have you reached a verdict?"  "Yes, we the jury find the
proposal good and would like someone to implement it."  Judge: "Who?"
Jury: "Uh, just someone.  Hey, all you asked us to do was vote on it,
remember?").

So now the question is, if it takes a committment to actually
implement a proposal in order to vote, are people going to jump up and
vote all that much?  If it doesn't take a comittment, what's to stop
the peanut gallery from using up their votes on things which will
never get implemented since there are no actual volunteers committed
to doing the work?  And what about a No vote?  Do you have to be
willing to make a counter-proposal or somehow balance your "no" in a
meaningful way or do the "no's" become stronger than "yesses" since
it's a lot more easy now to shoot something down than vote for it and
get stuck actually doing it.

I don't know, I still think the exception cases outnumber the rules at
this point, and with enough ambiguity still left over to choke a wooly
mammoth.

					Jordan