Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 06:25:57 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Info <Info@lawnet.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "'freebsd-ports@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is Tripwire 1.3.1 port broke??? It doesn't install on 4.1  stable and 4.1.1 stable .....

In message <F1472414B893D4118B0B00A02427262337D4@porsche.lawnet.xs4all.n
l>, Inf
o writes:
> Hi all,
>
> i tried to install Tripwire on a 4.1 stable system today and got the
> following error (ports from today via cvsup)

> gcc -O -ldl byteorder.c -o byteorder
> byteorder.c: In function 'main.c':
> byteorder.c:36: warning: left shift count >= width of type
> byteorder.c:25: warning: returntype of 'main' is not 'int'
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -ldl
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/tripwire-131/work/tw_ASR_1.3.1_src/util.
> *** Error code 1
>

> I don't understand this, because in the file ../files/patch-ae it says
>
> -#LDFLAGS= -static
> -LDFLAGS= -ldl
> +LDFLAGS= -static
> +#LDFLAGS= -ldl
>
> This does mean that the LDFLAGS option changes from "-ldl" to "-static",
> right???
> Can anyone tell me why the port doesn't patch (????) and how I can fix
> this????
>
> I tried to fix this by manualy change the ../work/tw_ASR_1.3.1_src/Makefile
> but then make won't
> install because he couldn't find the man path, so this wasn't patched right.
>
> A month ago I installed this version of Tripwire flawless on a 3.4 stable
> machine ....

Just tested it on one of my FreeBSD systems at home and on my desktop
system at work.  It compiled cleanly in both cases.  This is with ports
CVSupped on Oct 21 @ 07:20 PDT on 4.1.1-RELEASE systems.

In your case it appears that work/tw_ASR_1.3.1_src/Makefile did not get
patched.  Is your /usr/ports/Mk directory up to date?  Refresh your
copy of ports using cvsup and try building tripwire again.

Under Solaris libdl is the dynamic link library.  The functions in
Solaris' libdl are in FreeBSD libc, so we don't need to specify -ldl
under FreeBSD.  The reason for specifying -static is that a dynamic
linking tripwire would be vulnerable to rootkits that alter shared
libraries.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC