Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 00:22:35 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, jwd@unx.sas.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd: realloc/free bug

In message <199812110717.XAA35358@apollo.backplane.com> Matthew Dillon writes:
: I seem to recall linux returning the time remaining a long time ago,
: but I think they ripped it out.  I don't have a linux box handy to
: test the linux current kernel.

Linux implemented the timeval stomping version of select.  It was the
first OS to do this.  At the time they claimed that BSD 4.4 would be
doing this and that they were going to be compatible with that, plus
it was listed as a bug.  BSD 4.4 came out, and it didn't change this
part of the interface.  There were boatloads of programs that were
inexpertly ported to Linux that exhibited cpu eating problems.  Turns
out that they weren't robust enough to deal with the timeval stomping
interface.  In time they created a bsd_select, which was what all user
progams used.  I think it is possible to get the "new" linux behavior,
but I don't know how.

: I definitely think it's a mistake to change select()'s timeout
: operation, too many programs pre-set the timeval and assume it will
: not be changed on multiple calls to select().  If we were to
: implement a returned-time it would have to be with a new system
: call.

Agreed.

Warner