Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:15:44 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dan Ellard <ellard@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NFS server benchmarks vs. OpenBSD, NetBSD?

Dan Ellard wrote:
> Has anyone done a side-by-side benchmark of the FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and
> NetBSD NFS servers on the same hardware?  Note that I'm interested in
> server performance, not client performance.
>
> I'm particularly interested in read performance, but anything would be
> interesting.
>
> In lieu of actual data, which system do people think makes the best
> NFS server for heavily-loaded systems?

I don't think anyone has benchmarked this; if they had, color me
astonished.

Your best bet would be to compare them yourself, since it's not
that hard to install them.

FWIW, You can't seperate server and client performance.  If you
have two clients and two servers, the first client caches operation
X, and the second client does not, and you have two servers, one
where operation X is very fast, and reads are OK, and the other
where operation X is very slow, but reads are slightly faster than
just "OK", which one shows up as being better is going to depend in
the client you use in the benchmarks.

If you're asking about a server and not a client, then you would
be better of asking about the particular client by name vs. each
of the possible server choices.

PS: Your answers are going to differ based on UDP vs. TCP and
rsize/wsize.  In particular, if you need to have an rsize/wsize
larger than the MTU, make sure you are using TCP, not UDP, or
you will be shooting yourself in the foot (most Linux clients
wonder why when they use UDP, their nubers go to hell; that's
why).

-- Terry