Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:19:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lars Bungum <Lars.Bungum@copyleft.no>
To:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to patch rsync port.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > What I tried to do, was to paste it into a file /tmp/rsyncmknod.patch
> > and putting this line into the Makefile
> > EXTRA_PATCHES=  /tmp/rsyncmknod.patch
> > .but I didn't get this to work.  It asked me for a filename as I was
> > trying to make.
> That's usually a hint that the path component count in the --- and +++
> lines don't match the -p parameter, and the auto-filename derivation
> magic in patch didn't succeed. Find out what parameter is configured for
> patch (IIRC, "make -V PATCH_STRIP" should do that -- not on a BSD
> machine ATM) and adjust the patch accordingly. The file names in the
> patch are expected to be relative to ${WRKSRC}.

Thank you for your insights, I think I made a lot of way, but wasn't able
to make it all the way.

"make -V PATCH_STRIP" says
-p0

and

"make -V WRKSRC"  says
/usr/ports/net/rsync/work/rsync-2.5.6

the --- and +++ lines in my patch say originally:
--- work/rsync-2.5.5/config.h.in        Tue Apr  2 03:50:49 2002
+++ work.patch/rsync-2.5.5/config.h.in  Mon Jun 24 14:41:48 2002

..thus I figured I should change the first line to
--- config.h.in

I tried this, and I got a different reaction from make, instead of asking
me for input, it exited with errors, and leaving lots of .rej files
behind.  I looked for a directory "work.patch" and was unable to find one.
I do have a directory in the WRKSRC called "patches".  Should I change the
address to that instead?

--
Mvh.
Lars Bungum                                               <lb@cl.no>