Date:      Sun, 5 Jun 2011 22:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs snapshot management

Hello all,

I've been using a few different tools to manage zfs snapshots in different
scenarios.  For local use, I've found that Ralf Engelschall's set of
scripts[1] that tie into the periodic(8) system work fairly well.  I do
not use the amd portion since I am only working with zfs snapshots and I
don't see a need to actually re-mount the snapshots elsewhere for
recovery.  The only limitation I find with this system is that for use on
a backups host the lack of a monthly or yearly retention period pretty
much rules it out.  For local "oops" stuff though, it's great.

For hosts acting as backups servers, I've been using Snapfilter[2] and
some cobbled together stuff that rsyncs a bunch of hosts and tries to
detect and notify on errors.  Snapfilter simply is the zfs snapshot
"sweeper" that periodically deletes snapshots that are outside the defined
retention period(s).

Since there seems to be a fair number of serious zfs users here, I was
hoping for some further suggestions for use in either case.  Any input is
welcome...

Thanks,

Charles

[1] - http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/snapshot/