Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 07:32:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        shegonee@ix.netcom.com (Edward Nigma)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netstat -r

In a previous message, Edward Nigma said:
> Paul,
> Thanks. Switching hosts and bind in host.conf speeds things up a little bit.
> But there till is a delay. I think it may be a reverse name look up or
> something. Even if named isn't running, just putting:
> >> nameserver      127.0.0.1
> in resolv.conf causes these programs to  stall. I'm thinking maybe the
> startup options for these programs should be changed. I'm going to get
> the O'Rielly book on DNS and Bind tomarrow. Maybe that will shed some light
> on the problem.
> Gratefully Yours.
> E.Nigma aka Kirk :)

Oh, yeah, that's going to stall out.

What you're saying when you put
nameserver	127.0.0.1
in you're resolv.conf is that 127.0.0.1 is running named and will answer
your questions. Not having it running, makes the client wait until timeout
for the hopes that named will start.

The big problem in booting a name server machine is that it needs to know
who it is before it can start answer who it is, and who others are.

Paul.

--
"Your friend dissected, yourself a mental vegetable; not a pleasant
prospect, is it, Captain?" -- Kang