Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:59:15 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Phil Homewood <pdh@bit.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd@KIWI-Computer.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel

> Another question: Where does that "8" limit come from? I /know/ I've
> used >8 partitions many years ago...

The limit of 8 goes _way way_ back - certainly to V7 Unix, probably to V6.
We're talking mid-70s here. When all you have is a 5Mb drive, you don't need
more than 8 partitions!  I know of no Unix variant with more than 8 partitions/
disk - and it has been a problem for us on our Solaris systems.

> > One more gripe:  why was s1 chosen to be the first logical slice and not
> > s0?  Did we computer scientists start counting with 1 by accident?
>
> That's mystified me, too.

I assume to be compatible with MS-DOS fdisk which calls them 1-4.

Greg.