Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:57:16 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   sweet success - disktabs-disklabel lose their mystery!

Well it was all worth it. Thanks to a couple of quick pointers from folks, and
an excellent rule-of-thumb formula from Maltie, I can now install SCSI disks
from scratch, by hand. I never did like messing with that stand/sysinstall
thing.

I have the process well documented, and will make it available when I get a
moment. If anyone is interested. And it works for SCSI only. I guess.

  in short.
   install the hardware - ID#2   (its my second hdd)
   check the details with the bios utility
      (Adaptec has this, ctl-a, don't know about others)
   format it using the adaptec program. Note the total
       cylinder count if you remember, not important here.

   If all is well hardware wise, reboot your system up to normal.

   go to a # (root) prompt.
   type "scsiformat -p d sd1"
      (NEVER type sd0 - you will FRITZ your #1 drive - badddd)
   note the total number of cylinders count
   type "scsiformat -w sd1" you will get 3 three - yes
      THREE seconds in which to press ctl-c if you typed something else.!!!
      It will then format your sd1 scsi disk. again. Doesn't hurt. read the
numbers.

   When thats done, you can set up your /etc/disktab entry. I'll put that in
the coming text. Too complex for here.
   do an appropriate disklable command
   check all your mistakes - you don't make any? really!
   newfs the partitions you built
   edit the fstab
   mount the partitions,

and hey presto. lots of lovely new disk space.

And why do it this way? Well, I really wanted to know what was happening, and
had an objection in principle to using fdisk - a real dosism - to make slices.

The good thing is, now I know how its done.

Thanks for the help from those good soles who helped .

cheers
Robert

--
  Support Whirled Peas.       Business in China?    China House
  robert@chalmers.com.au      ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425