Date:      Sat, 22 May 2010 19:59:38 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org, danfe@freebsd.org, linux@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extracting screen's EDID-information from ACPI

--56jnwYyHVsKJlmXZ

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:12:48PM -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Hello!
>=20
> I'm struggling to get a Vaio-laptop with NVidia graphics to work properly.
>=20
> NVidia's own driver (from x11/nvidia-driver) does not "see" the laptop's =
own
> built-in screen. Linux users have solved this problem:
>=20
>    http://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux/wiki/NVIDIASetup
>=20
> but that requires reading ACPI-data via the Linux' proc-filesystem:
>=20
>    /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID
>=20
> FreeBSD's /proc does not have the acpi subdirectory, and neither does our
> /compat/linux/proc
>=20
> I'm sure, acpidump can extract the needed info, but I don't know, how :-(
>=20
> I put the disassembled dump (acpidump -dt) of this laptop to:
>=20
>    http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/VPCF11M1E.acpidump.bz2
>=20
> Is the necessary information (128 raw bytes or so) in there?
>=20
> Could somebody give an idea? Thanks!
>=20
>    -mi
>=20
> P.S. The laptop runs 8.1-prerelease/i386

My hybrid  (Z820) only provides EDID information when switched to
use intel graphics. Nvidia driver reports that no screens are attached.

I use the following in xorg.conf to force the driver to attach.
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "GeForce 9300M GS"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1"
        Option      "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
        Option      "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
        Option      "Coolbits" "1"
EndSection

--56jnwYyHVsKJlmXZ

--56jnwYyHVsKJlmXZ--