Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 01:39:30 +1300
From:      Snowfall <snowfall@gmx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sun says 22% of JVM bugs left unfixed apparently

A website hosting some internal memorandums, & a [leaked] Sun memo:

http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

The year of the apparent internal Sun Microsystems document seems to
be 2001 or 2002.

Here are some excerpts. Like how Sun designed its Java language, I
only put in the text I wanted to put in, without having an interest
in what readers might have wanted (joke).

| Sun Microsystems
|
| The Java Problem
| Author: Julian S. Taylor
| Reviewed by: Steve Talley, Mark Carlson, Henry Knapp,
|    Willy (Waikwan) Hui, Eugene Krivopaltsev, Peter
|    Madany, Michael Boucher

| This document ... represents a consensus of several
| senior engineers within Sun Microsystems. ... Our
| experience in filing bugs against Java has been to see
| them rapidly closed as "will not fix". 22% of accepted
| non-duplicate bugs against base Java are closed in this
| way as opposed to 7% for C++. Key examples include:
|
| 4246106 Large virtual memory consumption of JVM
| 4374713 Anonymous inner classes have incompatible
|         serialization
| 4380663 Multiple bottlenecks in the JVM
| 4407856 RMI secure transport provider doesn't timeout
|         SSL sessions
| 4460368 For jdk1.4, JTable.setCellSelectionEnabled()
|         does not work
| 4460382 For Jdk1.4, the table editors for JTable do not
|         work.
| 4433962 JDK1.3 HotSpot JVM crashes Sun Management
|         Center Console
| 4463644 Calculation of JTable's height is different for
|         jdk1.2 and jdk1.4
| 4475676 [under jdk1.3.1, new JFrame launch causes
|         jumping]
|
| In personal conversations with Java engineers and
| managers, it appears that Solaris is not a priority and
| the resource issues are not viewed as serious. Attempts
| to discuss this have not been productive and the
| message we hear routinely from Java engineering is that
| new features are key and improvements to the foundation
| are secondary. ...
| dependencies for deployment". Following is an excerpt:
|
| - Large footprint of applications when run on Solaris.
|   A simple application ("hello world" type) has a total
|   footprint of 35-40 megs on Solaris 9 (build 48, using
|   Java 1.4 build 82) on both Intel and Sparc machines.
|   Sparc machines, by far, have a much higher resident
|   footprint then Intel machines (~30 megs, compared to
|   ~11 megs). The same program run on a Windows machine
|   has a footprint of ~5 megs, resident footprint being
|   ~3.5 megs.
| SMC, Sun's flagship system admin console, takes between
| one and two minutes to reach the point that it can be
| used. ...
|
| Given this data, it appears that the JRE can actually
| be simpler than the Python RE since Java does at least
| some of this work at compile time. ... Hello World
| written in Java2 requires 9M for this most basic
| support infrastructure. ... Further examples of what is
| possible include the compiling OO languages Eiffel and
| Sather which fit their garbage collector, exception
| processor and other infrastructure into roughly 400K of
| resident set.
|
| ... It is impractical to run it as a non-terminating
| daemon. ... Java applications cannot be executed at
| boot time since the loading of the VM introduces an
> [...]

The URL was mentioned in news:comp.lang.ada on about 7 Feb 2003,
  under the subject "JVM News".

Java is compared with Ada 95 here: and Ada is argued to be
designed better:

   http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/prod_java.htm

Sun does not seem to have the word Ada in its corporate
vocabulary. They got the word "Eiffel" into their memo though,
a near miss. Had they had Bill Joy mangle Ada and make it worse,
e.g. using Japanese contractors, they could have produced a
language that is far better than what Java is today.

Craig Carey

Ada mailing lists:
http://www.ijs.co.nz/ada_95.htm