Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2013 07:04:52 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating curl

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:08:16 -0400
Robert Huff articulated:

> >  The port version of curl is "7.24.0_2". On February
> >  6th. curl-7.29.0 was released. Is there any possibility that this
> >  port might be updated.
>
> 	Of course.
> 	However: my system alone has around two dozen ports that list
>
> curl as a dependency.  No update will happen without sufficient
> testing to make sure there's no breakage.
> 	Volunteers for testing should probably contact the maintainer.

That is an excuse, not a reason. If the maintainer, who has not bothered
to reply, were to issue an experimental or devel port of curl, I
would be happy to try it. The fact that curl is a dependent of
numerous ports is also irrelevant. There are ports that are in far
greater demand on the system that get updated in less than a year, and
multiple versions, time.

There have been several versions released since the one in the port's
system and over a years time. The KDE and GNOME team often state why
they are not updating a particular port and what to expect in its
regards. If the curl maintainer either has lost interest in maintaining
the port or has a specific reason for not keeping it relatively
current, then I think he|she|they have an obligation to at least make
that know to the FreeBSD community. I can totally understand a
maintainer walking away from a port, it happens here all the time.
However, if the maintainer no longer desires to keep the port current,
it would behoove them to state so, so that another individual who might
have the knowledge and time to do so can take over maintainer ship.

I am not upset at the maintainer, I just want to know what the future
of the curl port is. I use it extensively. Your statement regarding
"testing" is a non-starter Robert. Other versions of this port were
released sans any formal testing that I am aware of. Plus, the
maintainer, again to the best of my knowledge, has not offered any of
the versions of curl issued since the port's version, for public
testing. It appears to me that the port is abandoned.

We have ports like "Postfix" that are updated in virtual real time and
then we have ports that seem to orphaned. It is too bad we cannot find
a nice happy medium.

--
Jerry ♔

Chicago law prohibits eating in a place that is on fire.