From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X mailers (was Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux ABI/SDK standards for OpenGL/Mesa)

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:

> > Nate: it's a while since I looked at VM on XEmacs.  I found its
> > layout cluttered and it's key sequences awkward.  How configurable
> > is it, really?  Do you use it as it comes out of the box?
>
> Really configurable, and no, I don't use it in an out-of-the-box
> configuration.
>
> I remap many of the keybindings, as well as have it setup to deal with
> procmail filtered email, which works very well.

I can only second Nate:

I use procmail to filter all incoming mail in seperate folders
(mailinglists, admin-mails, ...), use SpamBouncer (procmail script;
http://www-new.hrweb.org/spambouncer/) to filter out spam and Emacs/VM
to read my mails. Together, these tools do a _very_ good job in
organizing my mails. This approach at least halved the time I need to
wade through mails every day.

Regarding configurability: If SpamBouncer doesn't get all spam, a simple
"Z" in VM will mail all postmasters/abuse-accounts on the mailpath,
informing them about abuse. You can do this and essentially every other
task by using the provided 'hooks'. Ok, it takes a bit of lisp
programming ...

Another benefit of this approach is, that I can process mails further,
without leaving Emacs. Say, if someone mailed me sourcecode, I can edit
it, compile, run and delete it - all in Emacs. :-)

But then, I'm an Emacs addict (typing this in GNUS, the Emacs
newsreader). :-)

-Walter [knowing that he's starting a holy war!]

--
Dr. Walter Hafner                         Tel: 089/289-28187
WWW-Beauftragter, TU Muenchen           Email: hafner@in.tum.de