Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 13:59:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@stretch.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interested in CDE, anyone?

On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Jake Hamby wrote:

> Those are the pros.  But the disadvanatges are so big, that I doubt it
> will be a big seller on FreeBSD (or Linux for that matter).  First of
> all, Motif is big, and so are the CDE programs.  Even with 48MB of RAM,
> and the fastest (single-CPU) superSPARC 75MHz, most programs take a
> noticeable five seconds or so to start.  And, although there are plenty
> of pretty pictures, once you actually start to USE (or even worse try to
> customize) CDE, you're stuck back in the Unix command-line world.  Nearly

	I agree that CDE is pretty much a waste when it comes to
configuration and such.  I also have to point out that the non-technically
aware users of the CDE don't care.  They don't know how uncomfortabnle
their shoes are because they have never tried on a comfy pair, let alone
gone barefoot in X.  They think it is the admins job to make any
significant customizations to the workplace default environment.  These
days I am administering a bunch of HP's which have had VUE/CDE for years.
Many VUE users just don't like anything else because the options confuse
them.  e.g. "Where's my terminal button?"

   	I argue that CDE would be a valuable application to have available for
FreeBSD.  Not because its all that good, but because it would attract the
interest of people with money and make it easy to drop cheap UNIX-like
boxes infront of less competant users.  If a few of our pentiums sprouted
a CDE interface some of my users might actually use a FreeBSD box with out
realizing it.  Presently, it's pretty obvious which is which.  Perhaps we
could think of CDE for FreeBSD as a "Camouflaged Desktop Environment."  It
may not be the greatest thing to the current users of free OS's, but it
may be a useful tool in expanding the user base.

cheers,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| For an application and information
       Programming Freedom               ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/