Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:40:02 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Christoph Weber-Fahr <listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's wrong with a1 and irq 2 ?

Christoph Weber-Fahr writes:
>This effect is still there. I would conclude that it is not related
>to the use of IRQ 2/9 and probably caused by the high interrupt load.
>Is Syscons particularily affected by high interrupt load ?
>Are other people also experiencing this effect ? I seem to remember
>from a web page that the i4l folks also had problems with too many
>interrupts from an A1.
>
>> Another observation I made is that the card seems to put a heavy interrupt
>> load on the machine. Top gives an interrupt load of around 10% while the
>> card is under load, with occasional (rare) peaks up to 50 %. This is
>> a 486/50 (ISA only) System.

As said above, this problem remains unchanged, which means that ...

>> Is this a general problem with this card or is the IRQ 2 issue involved
>> here ?
>
>... this question can be answered with the claim that irq 2
>is not involved.
>
>I think from this one could conclude that
>
>- IRQ2/9 should be supported by the avm driver, maybe there should be
>  a dire warning about obscure VGA cards somewhere in the docs
>- There is a problem in the AVM driver with a too high interrupt load.
>
>I don't think this interrupt stuff is 'normal'. This is eating 10% of the
>computing power of a 486/50 with only one B channel used.
>On the other hand I can put the same card into a lousy 386sx/16 and
>blast 2 simultaneous IDTrans sesssions with full speed over both B
>channels under good plain old DOS. (I've done that!). There
>must be some problem in the driver somewhere, which AVM's own
>DOS CAPI driver doesn't have.

I think this is more likely due to the chipset than anything else. Consider
that you optimally get an interrupt every 32 bytes. At full speed, say
7.5 kB/s, this is roughly 230 interrupts/s. But normally there are more
interrupts generated than that because a) you have many packets < 32 bytes,
b) you're also transmitting at the same time and c) the D channel is also
generating interrupts. I see about 300 interrupts/sec at full-bore.

This should hold true for any of the passive cards which use the Siemens
chipset.

You could try running something like xsysinfo or xpermon++ (assuming you've
got The X Window System running), or maybe vmstat to see just how many
interrupts are being generated by the a1.

My 200MHz Pentium has no problems with this interrupt load. I don't have
a 486 box anymore to test this and can't remember anymore what the behavior
was like when I had such a machine. Besides, that was with bisdn.

I suspect that the DOS CAPI is just polling. This is OK under DOS, but not
under UNIX.

>> P.S. Should I try to submit a formal 'patch' for the avm driver
>>      to accept IRQ2 (it's utterly trivial)   ?

sure

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de