Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:39:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Larry Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FW: Re: No BSD Communicator 4.0?

-----FW: Re: No BSD Communicator 4.0?-----

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:04:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Larry Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
To: jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
Subject: Re: No BSD Communicator 4.0?
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
 Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>

BSD communicator is there, and the browser works well.  In fact, the *engine* is
obviously MUCH improved.  It renders the text of pages almost instantaneously,
and its caching is in a new league.  Further, if you put java_40 in the right
place, it works too.  On technical grounds, much kudos to netscape.

There are, however, multiple problems.  The bookmarks facility is completely
broken.  You can't add new ones.

The user interface is, unfortunately, moving toward M$ IE.  It's much much
worse.  I don't know what Netscape is thinking!  Almost every aspect of the
look and the layout is worse than before (no joke).  And it's definitely not
designed with unix in mind.  For example, a great feature for X in Netscape 3.0
is the Alt-L, which opens a *clear* field into which you can input a URL (great
for when you are pasting highlighted text from another window).  In 4.0, Alt-L
opens the field with the current URL highlighted (superceding whatever you
highlighted elsewhere).

Haven't reviewed the email facility much.  But a major complaint is that the
default is "rich text", so that most of your recipients can't read your mail!

On 25-Feb-97 jack wrote:
|>On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
|>
|>> With the beta release of communicator I was disappointed to not find a BSD
|>> version in the unix list.  Anybody know if this is a permanent thing from
|>> now on, or if it is just temporary?
|>
|>It's there, Unix BSD/386.  I tried it for about 10 minutes.  Reminds me
|>too much of M$'s IE, and after jumping through every hoop I could think of
|>I still couldn't get it to do java.
|>
|>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|>Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
|>jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
|>#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
|> PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
|>--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards.
Larry Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
date: 25-Feb-97