Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 00:24:34 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Chuck Burdick (TT)" <chuck.burdick@tradingtechnologies.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/run/log missing

Chuck Burdick (TT) wrote:

> For some reason, my system is missing /var/run/log.  This is the Berkley
> socket device that /dev/log points to and what syslogd uses.  Thus syslogd
> won't run (just exits w/ code 1).

You shouldn't need to create it. In fact, you can't in a way syslogd
would like: the only way to create a socket is with bind (correct me if
I'm wrong here), and if the socket exists syslogd's bind call would fail
with EADDRINUSE. syslogd should create it when it calls bind(2). If it's
not doing so, what error message is it giving?

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and